[aprssig] New n-N Paradigm FACTS

Greg Noneman greg at clubnet.net
Sat Jan 22 17:39:07 EST 2005

Bob,

I think you may now see why we HAD to go to strictly WIDEn-N in
Southern California several years ago.  Some of the APRS clients at the
time had default paths of RELAY, WIDE or RELAY, WIDE, WIDE.  You can
see how it doesn't take too many of these to completely consume the
channel.  Going to WIDEn-N had a tremendous impact. Yes, some people
abuse the path length, but the impact is nothing like that of the
WIDE,WIDE,WIDE,WIDE,WIDE paths we had back then.  And user education
has resulted in a majority of the packets now being sent to WIDE2-2.

All this being said, there is still room for improvement.

73,
Greg
WB6ZSU