[aprssig] WINAPRS maps?

WB4GQK at aol.com WB4GQK at aol.com
Thu Jan 20 20:12:00 EST 2005

Hi all,

I transferred a Maptech raster chart of the Gulf of Mexico into my copy of
WinAPRS v2.51 a couple of years ago. As I recall I first opened the chart with
my chart reader in the laptop. I then transferred it via a firewire network
connection to my main tower PC. At the time I was running Win APRS 2.51 and I
used the chart as an overlay. I used the screen saver and copied it with the
WinAPRS save into the map file. This is one big file 4.5 MB. It takes a while to
load but it does come up in APRS.

This chart really serves my purpose. My XYL, N4TFP, has to stay home with her
mom while I and 3 crew members race our sailboat 539 miles from Tampa Bay to
Isla Mujeres MX. She monitors our position every hour over the Gulf of Mexico
basically looking at the same chart at home that the crew and I see on the
laptop screen. Strangely enough I cannot get the Maptech chart to appear in
WinAPRS in the laptop. That doesn't really matter since I can play with the zooming
and overlay it on the screen.

I also have Nobletec's Vector chart of the Gulf but I have not been
successful in transferring that at all. But the raster chart works fine for us.

73 de Jim