[aprssig] APRS testing on 80 meters

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Thu Jan 20 16:49:55 EST 2005

I finally got my 80-meter Warbler kit, and soon I should have an antenna up.
I'd like to try hooking an OpenTracker in PSK31 mode up to the Warbler
sometime for on-air testing.  Is anyone in California (and maybe western
Arizona or Nevada) interested in trying to copy sometime in the next few
weeks?

I realize this is generally used for keyboard-to-keyboard QSO's, but I think
some occasional testing won't hurt anything, and I'm not planning to run it
as an unattended beacon.

There's also the entirely separate question of whether APRS has any need of
PSK31 operation.  I think it could be useful for remote weather stations,
and maybe low-rate maritime beacons where 300 baud isn't reliable enough at
low power.  In any case, if I can validate that it works properly, the
PropNet folks can always use it as a propagation probe.

On a related note, is there any software out there (Linux preferred, but
Windows OK) that'll decode multiple simultaneous PSK31 signals, unattended?

Thanks,

Scott
N1VG