[aprssig] Newer GARMIN and APRS

Stephen H. Smith WA8LMF2 at aol.com
Thu Jan 20 11:10:40 EST 2005

Ev Batey WA6CRE wrote on 1/20/2005, 6:13 AM:

 > I've so enjoyed till it has become flakey my GPS-V with THD-7 and
 > mapping my ARES buddies at events.
 >
 > Do any of the NEWER Garmin e.g. 2610/2620, USB connected support the
 > same features without a computer in the middle?

NO!

No USB-only GPS is going to be of any use with APRS devices like the D7,
TNCs or TinyTraks.   This is an inherent limitation of USB devices, in
that they need a "master" (i.e. computer) with a device-specific driver
to assign them an identity.

Stephen H. Smith                wa8lmf (at) aol.com

Home Page:                      http://wa8lmf.com

New/Updated Symbols for         http://members.aol.com/wa8lmf/ham
UI-View and APRSplus: