[aprssig] New Mexico and Arizona... New n-N Paradigm

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Jan 20 09:22:39 EST 2005

>I have a good grasp on the new N-N Paradigm, but the
>status of "RELAY" still confuses me.  The universal path
>is now WIDE2-2.  You just said that current "fill in" RELAY-only
>digi's should now support *BOTH* aliases of RELAY *AND*
>WIDE2-2.  Why then is RELAY still needed as an alias?

Because without it, "we can't get there from here"...

Knowing how lethargic the APRS network and users are, it
will take years for some people to change their mobile tracker
paths.  Thus we must always support RELAY.  But starting
now, we want to "encourage" the use of WIDE2-2 and support
of same...

>Wouldn't fill in digi's be either RELAY or WIDE2-2 but not both?
> Or are we keeping RELAY to be backwards compatible to
>people still using RELAY,WIDE?

Yes, that is it exactly...  RELAY will always be there, but
we want to "encourage" the use of WIDE2-2 as being
the most efficient.
Bob