[aprssig] New Mexico and Arizona... New n-N Paradigm

J. Gary Bender, WS5N WS5N at mindspring.com
Thu Jan 20 01:44:56 EST 2005

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 12:51:20 -0500, Robert Bruninga wrote:
>> the local area I run 5 watts, simple whip, and RELAY,WIDE.  I often
>> see 5 or 6 repeats of "My Position".
>
> This is one of the main reasons for the New n-N paradigm. Change this to
> simply the path of WIDE2-2 and you will not see any dupes. (though you
> will see one copy for each digipeater you can hear)...
>
> The New n-N Paradigm includes  no longer encouraging the use of
> RELAY,WIDE type paths which generage
> explosive dupes.  The fill-in digipeaters that used to be RELAY only
> should now support RELAY and WIDE2-2 or be full WIDEn-N or SSn-N digis.

I am really confused now by the "new" n-N ....
I am still mostly an appliance operator on APRS.  How is RELAY,WIDE worse than
WIDE2-2?  What is the digipeating logic that comes into play.  My intent, when
driving around my local area, is to not be propagating out very far.  I thought
I was being a good guy with R,W2-2 while driving cross country and R,W when
local!  I'll leave it WIDE2-2 and trust you, but I'd like to understand it.
Reading the discussions on the list have only added to the confusion, for me.

When traveling, should I go to RELAY,WIDE2-2?  I.e., put the RELAY back in?  Is
RELAY as much a part of the problem, locally, as W7-7 is for DX?

When I put a permanent station at my cabin, I will be able to fill a large area
that is shadowed by the mesa I am on top of.  Should my filler station be a
RELAY, which it is conceptually, or a WIDE2-2 digipeater?  I think I am getting
lost in a subtly that I haven't grasped yet.

 -- Gary, WS5N