[aprssig] HAAT Approximation in PHG (was: Entering PHG into UIview)

greg at clubnet.net greg at clubnet.net
Wed Jan 19 21:30:17 EST 2005

Bob,

Is there a preferred way of rounding the HAAT value into
the discrete steps of PHG statement?  I am particularly
interested in the high level digi case where you might
have an actual HAAT of say 2000 feet.  The first
assumption would be to round up if the value is above the
midpoint between the two steps and round down if it is
below.  I'm not so sure this is the best approach for an
APRS indicator.  Of late, I have tended to favor the lower
step unless the value is very close to the upper step.  If
there is a more scientific method, I will be happy to
change.

73,
Greg
WB6ZSU