[aprssig] Re: WINAPRS maps?

Mark Sproul kb2ici at amsat.org
Wed Jan 19 14:53:39 EST 2005

Stephen is correct

Of these, Precision Mapping is the ONLY company that embrases
developers. Street Atlas threatened to sue me when I first approached
them over 10 years ago about utilizing their product into mine.

Precision Mapping developer model is very good if you are using
Visual Basic or Microsoft Foundation Class for your development
environment. Since I use neither of these, it is very difficult. I
got it working very well with Prec Map 3.0/3.5. With PMAP 5.0 I got
it working but had to limit the screen to square.

2 years ago I wrote my own map engine utilizing the TIGER data. All
of the map companies start with TIGER data. This is VERY GOOD data
and they are doing LOTS of work to improve it. The advantage here is
that you can download the latest version of the data from the census
bureau and do not have to wait for Pmap, Street Atlas or the Sproul
brothers to come out with the maps for it. Also I have LOTS more
control over the map features than ANY of the other programs. Each
and EVERY line type is defined and can be enabled or disabled and can
be set to any color the user wants.

The most recent versions of WinAPRS and MacAPRS do an fantastic job
of speeding TIGER map drawing up. The first time it takes awhile,
then from then on, everything is MUCH faster.

Mark

At 11:16 AM -0800 1/19/05, Stephen H. Smith wrote:
>Ken Kinyon wrote on 1/19/2005, 11:01 AM:
>
>  > Precision Mapping 7
>  > Street Atlas 2005
>  > Street Atlas version 7
>  > MapPoint 2004
>  > Can I use any of these?
>
>NO
>NO
>NO and
>NO
>
>You have to either download US Government "Tiger" files from a Census
>Bureau website (these are the "raw ingredients" of the displays produced
>by APRSworld and findu)
>       or
>locate the rather dated simple outline maps designed for WinAPRS years
>ago.  These are available at the TAPR website in the WinAPRS FTP area.

Mark Sproul                              |
http://ecs.rutgers.edu                   |
msproul at jove.rutgers.edu                 |
Manager - Engineering Computing Services | 732-445-3121
Rutgers University School of Engineering |
Office: Eng D111                         |