[aprssig] Airport designations

Steve Look ka9szw at arrl.net
Sun Jan 16 11:03:31 EST 2005

I don't know if this has ever been brought up before but it occurs to me
that the "geoname" could be a local airport name. As an example; around
here we have Springfield = SPI, St. Louis = STL, Champaign = CMI,
Bloomington = BMI, Decatur = DEC. Little towns with little airports get
some weird ones; Lincoln = AAA, Monticello = 2k0. It may be best to use the
closest big airport and then the -1 -2 -3 -4 to indicate relative position
from there. Lots of places to look these up online.

Steve

Steve Look
KA9SZW
Monticello, IL