[aprssig] ax25 v 2.2

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Jan 14 17:44:06 EST 2005

But if you do not include the WIDEn-N digipeating option
in the spec then we will have MFRS making TNCs that
cant do WIDEn-N for APRS.  Kind of shooting ourselves
in the foot... it seems

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 12:50:54 -0500, Robert Bruninga <bruninga at usna.edu>
wrote:
> >Remember that the limit isn't a "two-hop" limit,
> >but a 2-digi limit. If your packet digi path is: WIDE4-4,
> >then you have 1 digi, but get 4 hops...
>
> The WIDEn-N system is *not* in AX.25 because it is an APRS
> specific APRS enhancement by some MFRS and APRS
> software supporters.  In fact, we have made MANY
> enhancements that the TAPR AX.25 team has ignored
> in their new spec.

The WIDEn-N system shouldn't have anything to do with the AX.25 spec,
since WIDEn-N is just another digi callsign. The protocol spec
shouldn't dictate the ways in which a digi path is modified or how it
is routed -- that would go in a usage spec.

--
J. Lance Cotton, KJ5O
joe at lightnigflash.net
http://kj5o.lightningflash.net
Three Step Plan: 1. Take over the world. 2. Get a lot of cookies. 3.
Eat the cookies.