[aprssig] Something odd with the internet servers?

Bill Vodall wa7nwp at jnos.org
Fri Jan 14 13:16:59 EST 2005

>> It may not be per-the-spec, but we certainly run packets of
>> 1K or bigger on a regular basis.  It works very well on a 9k6
>> repeater.

Which I used last night to update one linux server from another with new
versions of the telpac_node executables.  TCP/IP Packet is pretty cool
on a decent system (digital repeater with big packets and no hidden transmitters)

---
"PS.  We now have telpac_node running on a single Linux server providing connectivity for the
Seattle metro area as well as the greater Puget Sound region through two 9600 packet digital
repeaters on UHF, one 1200 baud packet repeater on 222 MHz and a single 2 meter simplex
frequency.   Seems to be working great.   This is in addition to all the regular TCP/IP (SMTP email,
Jabber IM, FTP, etc)  and even legacy AX25 packet services it provides on those four LANS."
---

> And will crash the D7 and D700,

Which would be incredible packet radios with a small upgrade but I'm often reminded
here that they are APRS radios and not packet radios...    So that's not an issue.

> and most TNC-2's won't handle the bigger UI packets, either.

That would be an interesting comparison chart.  I've never seen a TNC yet (besides you
know who's) that won't handle the bigger packets.

> The APRS-IS is configured to not pass information fields larger than 256
> octets, per the AX.25 specification.

Again, that's APRS and not general packet...   Apples and crab apples...  (I
was going to say Apples and Oranges... )

Bill - WA7NWP