[aprssig] how to contribute?

A.J. Farmer ajfarmer at spenet.com
Tue Jan 11 14:21:47 EST 2005

Great question.  I think this may be at the heart of some of the overloading
problems.  Many APRS users not only want to be a node on the network, but
they want to contribute so they run a WIDE or a RELAY, or IGATE or
something, ANYTHING!  Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with that
and it's great to see all of the interest and enthusiasm.  It has just
turned into organized chaos in some conjested areas.

The problem is there are too many individuals doing their own thing, and not
enough planning and cooperation.  The "BIG 3" don't have to be 3
individuals.  Hopefully it can be a group of people with a common interest
in these "BIG 3".  That way many can contribute without overloading the
network at the same time.  With any luck, these new ideas for fixing the
network will start to bring people together which will, in turn, accelerate
the repair of the network.

Bob has laid out the plan, and most seem to be in agreement.  So let's go
with it!  I have noticed digi's that have already switched to LNK#-# so it
*is* happening.  The best way to contribute right now is to take a hard look
at what is going on in your area, identify problems you see, and try make
everyone in your area aware of what is happening and start cooperation to
fix it.  Then go to work and make the changes.  As part of this process, you
will find out where everyone can fit in and contribute, but in a coordinated
manner.

Rose colored glasses?  Maybe.  But I'm being hopeful. ;-)

And as to your final comment, there are never too many "listen only" IGATEs.
It is the ones that gate from the Internet to RF that really need to be
configured carefully.

73!

A.J. Farmer, AJ3U
http://www.aj3u.com