[aprssig] digipeter determination

Wes Johnston aprs at kd4rdb.com
Fri Jan 7 09:48:53 EST 2005

I got to thinking about this this morning and I worry about using beams to
collect data from the various 144.39 digis.  If I'm too close to one of the
nearby digi's, it will prevent me from hearing another distant digi, even with
a beam pointed at the other digi.

I was thinking that a more effective (although incrementally expensive method)
would be to add an extra radio at each of the digipeater sites.  One radio
would TX/RX on 144.39, the _ONE_ TNC at the site would work out what needed to
be digipeated and TX (just as they do today).  The TX line from the TNC is
hooked to the 144.39 radio AND to a 70cm radio.  Each site is assigned it's own
70cm frequency to uplink to the super digi.  The super digi uses a matching
radio and 1200 TNC (or sound card tnc) for each 70cm only link.

The result is that the 144.39 digis would TX simulatneously on 70cm and 144.39.
The super digi would better be able to simultaneously RX multiple links if they
were all on different frequencies rather than trying to RX on 144.39 using
beams to differentiate between the various surrounding digipeaters.

Wes