[aprssig] Another Source of Network Overload ?? -- Too Many WX Stations Close Together.

Stephen H. Smith WA8LMF2 at aol.com
Thu Jan 6 18:06:57 EST 2005

I am currently in a Denver motel room (waiting for a car repair after
skidding off I-76 during Tuesday's storm) monitoring APRS via the
Internet stream.

Looking at the area around me here in the Denver area, I was struck by
the huge number of weather stations located very close together.

Here's a map captured from UI-View after listening to the APRS internet
stream for less than 3 minutes!

     http://members.aol.com/wa8lmf/aprs/DenverAPRS_WX.gif

[ I have filtered out over 30 non-RF Citizens Weather stations that were
also on the map. ]

Allowing for the fact that some are up in the Front Range thousands of
feet above the plains but only a few miles farther west, there still
seem to be an excessive number located in the flatlands along I-25.

1)  Note the cluster of 4 in the area between Longmont and Fort Collins
at the north end of I-25 on this map.

2)  Note 4 of them within about 10 miles of each other just north of
Colorado Springs.   Surely the weather can't be that different in
locations 5 or 10 miles apart on the plains.

I've noticed this proliferation of close-spaced WX stations in other
urban areas as well as I drive cross country.

Do we really need this many this close together?

Stephen H. Smith                wa8lmf (at) aol.com

Home Page:                      http://wa8lmf.com

New/Updated Symbols for         http://members.aol.com/wa8lmf/ham
UI-View and APRSplus: