[aprssig] In a nutshell?

Steve s.jones at rogers.com
Thu Jan 6 16:15:05 EST 2005

On Jan 6, 2005, at 1:06 PM, Sean Jewett wrote:

>   It's just the whole computer in a
> remote area that's keeping me from thinking digined is the best thing
> since sliced bread (it is darn close though).

I've got two computers sitting at remote sites running Digined.  Other
then a harddrive crash I haven't had any problems.  I took a boot
floppy with digined back to the site and ran the digi from it.

You can support any number of the LANOFTHEWEEKn-n schemes people think
up.  You can also keep your WIDEn-n and TRACEn-n while limiting the
amount of hops you support.  Cutting our digi's back to WIDE3-3 or less
cut down on the number of stations we were seeing tremendously.  The
ARES folks have a couple of special LANn-n unproto's they can use to
get around the 3 hop limit.

By keeping WIDEn-n support for reasonable lengths, we don't penalize
those people who are network friendly.  They don't wake up one morning
wondering why they can't get out anymore using a simple WIDE2-2.

The dupe algorithm helps to stop the ping ponging of people still using
WIDE, WIDE, WIDE.

If user education doesn't work (we've got some people who like to gate
all Ontario traffic to rf), then Digined supports budlisting.
Budlisting one mobile who beacons multiple GPS strings every 30 seconds
(even when parked) opened things up.

If your adventurous, you can even exit Digined remotely and run a
TCP/IP program to update the software remotely.

Give it a try someday.  I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised.
--
Steve <s.jones at rogers.com>