[aprssig] In a nutshell?

dick at kb7zva.com dick at kb7zva.com
Thu Jan 6 13:47:11 EST 2005

In a nutshell:  yes, there is a problem, yes New N-n helps if everyone
plays, but what are you going to do next time, when New N-n has reached
its limit?

-Jason
kg4wsv

How and when will the new n-N reach it's limit?

As a digiowner and very optimistic that Bob's plan has merit. It works
in my area. Unless, you live in the real world as a digiowner and come
face to face with a badly configured networks, there is no nutshell.

It's not that easy to just summarize the situation by sweeping it under a rug,
and move on to the next theory. Let's concentrate on fixing our mess and
improve upon it. There will never be a fix it all, so save the bottom-line,
nutshells, and the next times for the 'echo boomers' <g>.

How do we fix what we have, is the current issue. Not something we think
we are going to have. Save your knife for future gunfights... it might work.
Currently, it doesn't, it's the wrong ammo.

If we confine our packets to 'cells', we no longer need WIDEn-N or TRACEn-N's
in most areas. The saturation we see is being caused by badly configured
digipeaters because some digiowners think they all need the same settings.
Many metro digis could survive well using only RELAY and/or WIDE and not
sending packets to the next city or state. IGates have the ability to that,
and can be controlled much better.

Dick, KB7ZVA
APRSWest