[aprssig] time for APRS second generation network?

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Thu Jan 6 11:43:42 EST 2005

> By the way, Iam not at all opposed to  you sugggestions
> for a smarter infrastructure.  Dont get me wrong.
> I am all for a 9600 baud RF backbone system say
> with a state (or ARRL section) that makes a great
> LAN boundary)...

I haven't studied the 9600 baud backbone system, but at a glance I
can't see how that will help local nodes reliably send and receive data
amongst themselves.  as far as I can tell the 9600 baud backbone can
improve send to outside, can improve receive from outside, or you can
make your network bigger.  If you improve send OR receive but not both,
you have an asymmetric data flow and someone is not getting the whole
picture.  If you make your network bigger, well, it's already too big.

As far as I can tell, the only way for 9600 baud to improve "A tactical
real-time local ad-hoc network for
digital communications among everyone..." is for _all_ nodes to switch
to 9600 baud.

> Im just saying that we MUST fix this level 2 saturation
> problem first.

I'm not saying we shouldn't do anything now, or that there's anything
wrong with the work being done now.  I'm proposing the next step, which
is to get a layer 3 with some smarts because we are currently
demonstrating that layer 2 cannot do enough, especially the layer 2 we
have now.

>   and the smarter infrastructure cant do a
> anything about that.

Sorry, but that statement is wrong.  I began my first message with an
example of a real network that had everything on a single layer 2
ethernet, but no layer 3.  Doing nothing more than adding layer 3
(replacing some layer 2 devices with layer 3 routers) improved that
network orders of magnitude.  The same basic networking principle _can_
improve the APRS network.

Because of the nature of our physical layer we cannot see same same
"orders of magnitude" improvement, but we CAN:

- simplify user configuration
- adjust the local segments of the network to handle traffic
appropriate to the local network load
- reduce duplicate repeats
- reduce path lengths, both number of hops and physical packet size

>  And I just want to un-confuse
> users.

Yes, and I think it should be whether they want it or not; that is, let
the network infrastructure make decisions to benefit the whole network
rather than being at the mercy of any ignorant or malicious user due to
this archaic source routing scheme we use now.

> The bottom line is we MUST cut path length and
> high-digi coverage

Right, but these are two completely separate issues.  Nothing we do at
layer 2 or above can have a useful impact with a very badly configured
layer 1, like a digi antenna that can see the entire northern
hemisphere.

In a nutshell:  yes, there is a problem, yes New N-n helps if everyone
plays, but what are you going to do next time, when New N-n has reached
its limit?

-Jason
kg4wsv