[aprssig] Xastir on Windows, was Re: Slashdot article

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Jan 5 19:01:14 EST 2005

> > For what its worth, APRSdos can be built to boot and
> > run with local maps from a floppy disk only...
>
>Most current laptops don't have floppy drives anymore.
>If you want to boot from a removable medium, it has to be
>a bootable CD ROM.

But the topic was come-as-you-are packet response to an
emergency.  Yes, most people on this sig have nothing but
the latest laptops.   But looking across the spectrum of
come-as-you-are old-fud hams,  I bet far more of them
would show up and be willing to dedicate an old laptop
with a floppy drive to protable APRS then those with a CD.

Especially if they are going to leave it at the site as a loaner
for the duration of the emergency...

de WB4APR.