[aprssig] time for APRS second generation network?

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Jan 5 17:11:23 EST 2005

>>> ad6nh at arrl.net 1/5/05 3:36:47 PM >>>
> I can hit on the average six digipeaters with my tracker
>sending out a ... WIDE2-2 produces about 10 returns...
>Perhaps the solution is to shut some of the [TALL] digipeaters
>down for good, or convert them to an alternate channel.

Yes, any digi that can hear more than 60 users is generating
nothing except QRM!  It has no useful purpose in an APRS
network if other digis over the same area.

Time to move to smaller cells!

> I want to know why the option of shutting down certain
>digis has not been discussed yet.

Actually that is what began this whole New n-N paradigm
over 6 months ago.  Its because I said the best way to
fix APRS overnight would be to remove WIDEn-N completely
in the areas that are beyond saturation, and that included
shutting down over-reaching digis.

See my next message please.

Bob