[aprssig] The new N-N paradigm summary (fwd)

Eric H. Christensen kf4otn at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 5 11:25:04 EST 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: aprssig-bounces at lists.tapr.org
[mailto:aprssig-bounces at lists.tapr.org] On Behalf Of Greg Noneman
Sent: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 11:11
To: TAPR APRS Mailing List
Subject: Re: [aprssig] The new N-N paradigm summary (fwd)

I agree that WIDEn-N was bringing in these stations.  But, is one
packet an hour  from a handful of DX stations really going to kill
the
local network.  Also, if everyone suddenly got rid of WIDEn-N, what
do
you think these DX digis would do to their paths?  Back to long WIDE
paths, like was the case before?  And with this, the packets get
REALLY
long and can chew up a lot of bandwidth.

Yes it is killing local networks all over!  We have seen this too
many times before.  We shouldn't be going back to the long WIDE paths
but should be using the new SSn-N.  So if you use RELAY,NC2-2 then
that would be the equivelant of using RELAY,WIDE2-2 except the packet
is now contained within a geographical area where it can be managed.