[aprssig] Trace-Only digis

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Jan 4 11:53:53 EST 2005

>>> kd4moj at kd4moj.org 1/4/05 10:28:52 AM >>>
>See a map of the USA where the TRACE-only digis are:
>http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/aprs/digis-t.gif
> Maybe I lost a few brain cells these last few years...
>but I'm scratching my head as to why a digi would be only
>a Trace digi in the first place?

TRACE and TRACEn-N are completely different and
completely unrelated.  That's one of the reasons I just
want to phase out both of them.

A TRACE only digi is a PacComm TNC digi that can do
callsign Substitution but can not do any N-N paths.
Thus it is *identical* to a WIDE only digi, except that a
WIDE-only digi cannot even do callsign substitution.

So to distinguish the two types of "WIDE onlly" digis
we defined the PacComm ones to be called TRACE
digis since they do callsign substitution.  And since
substitution cuts down on dupes, it was better in those
areas to use TRACE,TRACE,TRACE than to u se
WIDE,WIDE,WIDE back in the days when we
had nothing like n-N paths or digis...

But PacCom digis can easily be upgraded to UIDIGI
ROMS and be great digis doing all the new or old
n-N stuff.

de Wb4APR, Bob

...DOUG
kd4moj