[aprssig] The new N-N paradigm summary (fwd)

Larry Cerney lcerney at viawest.net
Tue Jan 4 10:59:26 EST 2005

Scott, et al;

I've had good success in contacting digi operators and asking them if they
might turn down their paths from above 5-5 to something more local like 2-2.
I explain nicely that APRS is a local tactical network and that traffic
generated 300 miles away that isn't of any interest locally is just QRM.
One operator turn his down and another no only turn his down, but sent me a
nice email in response.

I also include a link to Bob's primer "Fixing the 144.39 APRS Network"
http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/aprs/fix14439.html

If they only read the first few paragraphs they will learn exactly what they
need to know about what an APRS network is and how not to abuse it.

Try to identify operators that might be causing problems and suggest to them
nicely they check out Bob's primer.  In a few days you will find that
operators that take the time to put up an APRS station will want to do it
right.  I don't think anyone puts up a station just to QRM as many local
networks as they can.

Give it a try, you may be surprised.

73....
Larry
K0ANI

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once."
--Albert Einstein