[aprssig] New Digipeater Overlays

dick at kb7zva.com dick at kb7zva.com
Mon Jan 3 21:48:27 EST 2005

Bob,

I took the liberty of copying this to the list. Hope you don't
mind. It could be that these changes weren't posted where they
could be found easily.

Dick, KB7ZVA
APRSWest

DIGIPEATER OVERLAY CHARACTERS for the new N-N PARADIGM     12 Dec 2004

To keep users informed of the changes by this new n-N paradigm, we
should label our new digis in a consistent manner for the benefit of
the users.  I suggest:

S overlay for SSn-N's       "R,W,SSn,SSn" in BText for one or two states
K overlay for LNKn-N's,     "R,W,##Kn" in BText for interstate ##
X overlay for dual LNKn-N's "R,W,##Kn,81Kn" for I-90 and I-81
L overlay for LAN/LINKn-N's "R,W,##Kn,SSn" for I-90 and State

I expect most if not all such digis will actually be just the "L"
variety except for the crossing interstate "X" or the dual-state
"S" digis.  Or just "S" or "K" if they want to still support WIDEn-N,
and add "Wn" in the BText to show that it still supports WIDEn-N.
For example:

K overlay for  "R,W,##Kn,Wn"  in BText for interstate ## and WIDEn-N
S overlay for  "R,W,SSn,Wn"   in BText for State SS and WIDEn-N

Of course we keep the existing overlays:

R  for RELAY only digis
W  for WIDE or RELAY,WIDE only digis
T   for RELAY,WIDE with    callsign substitution Tracing (PacComm ROMS)
N  overlay for WIDEn-N's,  "R,W,Wn" in BText
U  for UIdigi
D  for DIGI_NED

de WB4APR, Bob