[aprssig] winlink

Ray McKnight shortsheep at worldnet.att.net
Mon Jan 3 16:10:58 EST 2005

This is an alternative to the using "keyboard mode"
For sending and receiving e-mail using Winlink.  This
Makes using Winlink transparent to the user.  The
Interface is a standard e-mail client like Microsoft
Outlook or Airmail.

So far it's generally been concluded that a D7 or D700 isn't
Likely to work well with Telpac, the VHF/UHF access node
For Winlink.  But there *is* some info indicating that these radios
In fact can be used, although they won't be as easy or provide
As much functionality as a true radio/TNC combo, or sound card
Packet solution.  But as Bob and others say, use what you've got,
Right?

We're talking about full e-mail client access, such as Airmail (the
recommended way to access Winlink), or any POP3/SMTP compatible e-mail
client, a computer, And using the D7/D700 as the radio/TNC combo.  It's
*supposed* to work.

DON'T SHOOT THE MESSENGER!
And I haven't tried this but can point you to all the links where this info
originates to help yourself.

So how's it done?
First, you have to put the Kenwood into KISS mode.
I'm not the D7 expert here, and all it says is give the radio these
commands:
KISS ON
RESTART

Now I'm not sure if this can be done from the front panel or
if it needs to be done by computer.  One of the Kenwood experts can answer
that.  It's sort of unclear, you may also be able to do this by software in
them Packet Engine Setup menu.

Now, you need to be running AGWPE.
You select the radio type as either PacketEngine Pro or TNC for AGWPE.
You select TNC Commands tab, select "let me control parameters" and set
Maxframes to 1.

You need to download and install Paclink AGW from the Winlink site.
You may also need to install Microsoft's .NET Framework if not already
Installed on your computer.  In the Paclink setup, select Packet
Properties/Channels menu set the packet length to a max of 255, 128
recommended, and set Max Outstanding Frames to 1.

You will need to configure AGWPE and your e-mail client.
>From what I gather, you'll be adding a new e-mail account
That looks at Paclink as the e-mail server, but can access
A wide range of various TNC's or share single TNC with several
Computers on a network.  There are specific instructions for
Microsoft Outlook and Outlook Express.  It should be fairly
Trivial to configure any other e-mail client as long as it has
POP3 or SMTP compatibility.

So what will this give you?

Almost transparent e-mail using your existing, familiar e-mail program.
But it will be over 1200 baud packet and your Kenwood radio.
You *may* also be able to send and receive binary attachments over 1200
Baud packet depending on the Telpac server you use.  You will be able
To send and receive e-mails about as easily as you do at home through your
ISP.  Standard addressing, point and click e-mail client just like we know
and love.

If you want to get really fancy, there's even a Paclink "Post Office" that
can be installed To turn yourself into a mail server that others on a
network can use through your Telpac/Paclink setup.

The disadvantages of using your Kenwood instead of a "real" TNC?
The TNC's in the Kenwood's have limited buffers and memory.  So you'll be
sending and receiving shorter data bursts, and don't have
Much room for buffer overflow or retries that might be out of sequence.
It will be somewhat slower but might allow you to use what you have.

I realize this is somewhat of a kludge, but aren't so many other things we
do?  Hope it helps, and BTW this isn't recommended for the faint of heart or
total Computer illiterate.