[aprssig] APRS Monitoring and activity

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sat Jan 1 12:04:17 EST 2005

>>> spider at rivcom.net 12/31/04 2:32 PM >>>
>>As I said in an earlier post, APRS is not an end in itself....
>>[its also supposed to be a network monitoring tool to
>>display network connectivity and coverage ...]
>>... I have discoverd that WinLINK stations do not beacon
>
>That is a Telpac nodes personnal choice.
>The LT buffers can be set to beacon anything...

With the great poential of the WinLINK/TELpac system
I would strongly suggest that as a system, that the
beacons should be automatic,be consistent, include
Position and PHG, and the frequency (for scannning
data capture).

We have found in any system that leaving such important
settings to the "user". guarantees loss of consistency
reliability, usefullness and presence.

I hope with your thorough background in APRS and your
excellent knowledge of the WinLINK system, that you
know someone you can quielty influence to consider
these additions...

thanks, Bob, WB4APR