[aprssig] MIC-Encoder repeaters

Michael Blair michaelblair at telefonica.net.pe
Sat Feb 26 20:44:10 EST 2005

Hi

"Well, cell phones came along and I know of many repeaters that are simply
pulling the plugs on their autopatches. "

    This statement made me want to ask about something that has been
appearing. Like you say, getting a phone patch was all the rage before Cell
phones became so dominant. It seems to me that we are about to be passed by
again now that all cell phones will be equipped with GPS or some such thing
for location. I think if the phone companies do that right and give users
some access to a web page for seeing themselves on a map, the APRS incentive
will be less. Everyone will be able to tell where they are by the map on
their phone or PDA or Browser screen and many will not see any need to keep
using APRS where when you make a mistake in your settings you are verbally
attacked as if you just tried to kill the Queen.

Mike
WP3K

Michael Blair