[aprssig] Smart TNC's vs. KISS and computers was (no subject)

Noel Shrum ar798 at tcnet.org
Wed Feb 23 18:01:27 EST 2005

Sean Jewett wrote:
> I'm sorry, but relying on Microsoft based products is getting for what you
> asked for.  I know some people have wonderful uptimes with their Microsoft
> systems, in particular running UIView.  However, those are few and far
> between.  I have deployed several linux based floppies running aprsd and
> have yet to have any of the failures you speak of.

I myself run a Linux based igate.  I'd NEVER run something as unreliable
as windows (any version) for something important like packet radio.
I can't see how the winlink people think that windows is good enough for
 emergency coms.  I don't want to bet my life (or some one else) on
Little Billy's OS.

Even though I run APRSd on my Linux server, I still run the TNC (KPC3+)
so that it is doing all the RF work.  All my computer does is play igate.

Noel