[aprssig] Need some help searching for a patent...

scott at opentrac.org scott at opentrac.org
Wed Feb 23 09:58:50 EST 2005

I wonder how this compares to the TigerTrak TM-1...

"For APRSR and some other tracking applications, the TM-1 is inserted
directly in parallel with the microphone. This allows you to use the radio
for voice communications and tracking simultaneously. It also allows the mic
PTT to trigger the tracker at the end of each voice transmission (mic
encoding). Special circuitry in the TigerTrak allows it to "capture" the
microphone input and control PTT operation without the need to "break" ANY
of the mic lines! Other more primitive units require mic lines to be broken
and relays or diodes to be installed to accomplish this. An optional "Mic
Adapter Kit" is also available to simplify attachment to the mic connector"

I'm not sure how much 'special circuitry' that really requires.  It's still
got some bugs, but for the most part I've got an OpenTracker doing that now
with a Motorola GP68.

Scott
N1VG