[aprssig] Bob, Address the WIDE7-6 Possibility

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Feb 22 09:20:21 EST 2005

>>> mwrobertson at comcast.net 2/21/05 8:36:26 PM >>>
>As Bob Bruninga said a few days ago, RELAY,WIDE2-2
>in metro areas, and  maybe RELAY,WIDE3-3 out in the
>boonies for travelers..

Now that we have finalized the New n-N pParadigm,
I do not recommend starting a path with RELAY.  Yes,
it has value 1% of the time when you are out of range
of a digi and in range of a HOME RELAY, but the other
99% of the time, that mobile could be generating 2 to 3 times
the number of dupes on every single packet he transmits
when he hits more than one digi.  It just is not worth it.

If there is a black hole, then put a WIDEn-N digi there.
WIDEn-N has perfect dupe elimination and so adding
a digi only adds ONE copy occasionally as opposed to
2 to 3 times as many dupes on every packet from
every mobile...

These fill-in digis should trap then other N-s so as not
to dupe every packet in the area..

So my recopmmendation for the last several weeks now
has been to drop the leading RELAY and just use
WIDE2-2 for local commuting.  WIDE3-3 for travelers
east of the Mississippi and WIDE4-4 for truckers and
long-haul travelers west of the Mississippi except for
obvbious places on the west coast...

de WB4APR, Bob