[aprssig] Bob, Address the WIDE7-6 Possibility

David Odom dodom at mindspring.com
Mon Feb 21 15:30:25 EST 2005

Eric,

I follow the Sig but say very little.  I disagree with you on this thread
and feel I should speak up for those of us who travel a lot.  I am not a
trucker but my son, KG4RIP and I travel a lot using APRS to keep our
families informed.  In the past 2 years I have been in 27 different states
on two trips.  It makes no sense to us,  who cross a state in 2 hours, and
maybe cross 3 or 4 in a day, to not provide a universal path for travelers.
I used relay,w2-2 on my entire 27 state trip and was posted on FindU when in
range of a digi.  There were some gaps for sure I10 in parts of Texas and
I80 through Nebraska don't have much digi coverage but it enough to give my
family a rough estimate where I am and that I am ok.

I believe we will lose a lot of the utility and interest in APRS if we
abandon the ability of travelers to us a single universal path.  Especially
those of us who travel a lot without copilots to operate the radios.

Dave
W4VOR