[aprssig] Bob, Address the WIDE7-6 Possibility

Eric Christensen kf4otn at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 20 15:23:09 EST 2005

Bob,
I heard from some folks that went to Richmond to the APRS® Forum that you were saying how we needed to go back to WIDEn-N with the filtering.  I wish you would address the possibility of a user utilizing a path of WIDE7-6 to get through our filters that we put into place to protect our LANs.

There has been at least two (and probably more) people that I know of that have posted messages to this SIG that complained because when the SSn-N LANs came into play they could no longer send messages to far away locations that were obviously outside of their ALOHA circle.  This shows that if we put WIDEn-N back into use that they would be the ones that would circumvent our filters and reduce the reliability of our LANs.  These people obviously didn't want to play nicely with others and openly admitted to spamming.

I, for one, hope that all digipeaters in North and South Carolina (and other states) take WIDEn-N out of their digipeaters and utilize SSn-N.  And while we are talking about it, remove WIDE and TRACE from their digipeaters as well.  I know there are others that feel this same way.  Your plan will not work to prevent spamming of our LANs; it only makes offenders become more creative.

DISCLAIMER: I am speaking of States where there is a problem.  If you are in the mid-west with vast open spaces of no APRS® users, please disregard this rant.

Eric KF4OTN