[aprssig] Smart TNC's vs. KISS and computers was (no subject)

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Sun Feb 20 13:22:05 EST 2005

On Feb 20, 2005, at 12:41 AM, <scott at opentrac.org> wrote:

> What we need is a TNC with open source software that can be kept up to
> date
> with a simple flash.

Yes!

Lots of stuff should fit on a modern microcontroller with horsepower to
burn.  I have refrained from buying some packet and APRS related
hardware, either because it was too expensive for the limited functions
it can perform, or closed source, or both.

I make my living as a sysadmin, and I don't like the idea of using a PC
for a remote location digi or any other application without some
environmental control.  Maybe a hardened/embedded system as mentioned,
but not standard desktop hardware and certainly not anything running
windows.

-Jason
kg4wsv