[aprssig] Re: W9DF-??

Al Wolfe awolfe at Route24.net
Sat Feb 19 23:22:44 EST 2005

 Robbie,
    W9DF-15 is a rather high profile digi near West Lafayette, Indiana. He
uses Wide5-5 for some reason. Someone that hears him direct has a D700 set
up as a Wide digi with it set up incorrectly. Anyhow, as his packets bounce
back and forth, this D700 decrements his SSID. Of course this is a new call
as far as the other digis or W9DF-15 see it. Then this new call get sent
out. I hear him directly most of the time and watch as his SSID's
go -15, -14, -13, etc, often down to -10, blip, blip, blip, blip.
    It not just W9DF-15 that has problems. Most of the stations in eastern
and central Illinois and western and central Indiana get their calls screwed
up. When ever I check my Heard list I can delete at least 25 percent, often
a third, of the calls there as being wrong. This has been going on since
last Summer.
    I cannot run more than just Wide here or my SSID gets decremented. Using
Wide2-2 gets my call decremented. I see no reason to run any more than 2-2
here but I can't even do that. Of course there were never any problems with
running Trace instead of Wide but I guess now we are to be getting rid of
Trace. D700s don't seem to screw up Trace.
    If there were just some way to contact all the D700 users and tell them
to fix their d%*$ digis.

73,
Al, K9SI