[aprssig] Re: APRS Status Quo

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Sat Feb 19 11:04:21 EST 2005

On Feb 18, 2005, at 3:22 PM, Robert Bruninga wrote:

> Never said that AT ALL.  What Frustrates me is that you
> guys all complain about how confusing this is for the
> users.

Actually, wasn't it a user (digi operator) who posted something here a
few days ago to the effect of "when you _settle_ on a plan for newn-n,
_then_ let us know what it is?"

The topic that some of us are _trying_ to discuss is a _solution_ to
the problem of network overload and client configuration complexity,
while you're presenting a _workaround_.  There is nothing wrong with
your workaround in the context of the current APRS network, but the
_design_ of the current APRS network, in the opinion of some of us who
know networks, is lacking.  _We_ are discussing what to do when the
lids figure out that, under the latest fix 39 newn-n plan,
WIDE2-2,WIDE2-2,WIDE2-2 works the same was as WIDE6-6 used to, and
there isn't a thing newn-n does to address it.

Newn-n is a good step forward.  We are _trying_ to discuss the _next_
step after that.

>  Yet, then we have come up with a GREAT
> SIMPLIFICATION in the New n-N Paraddigm

And it's, what, the third one in the past few weeks?  But it's the rest
of us confusing everyone?

I just re-read the fix 39 page, and I still don't know what path I
should use in my d700, other than I should use WIDE2-2 in "some areas".

> It is not me holding back progress AT ALL!  I am
> all for any new ideas, but they MUST BE DIFFERENTIATED
> from what we are doing NOW.

Seems that a lot of the discussions have been under subject lines of
"APRS routing strategies" or "next generation APRS network" or others.
If someone can't pay enough attention to the thread or even the subject
line to differentiate between a discussion on a potential future APRS
network and a recommendation for what to do to a digi today I
personally am not too worried about their understanding of the
discussion.

> But in the meantime
> stop obfuscating the topic at  hand which is getting
> the EXISTING DIGIPEATERS SET PROPERLY.

*sigh*  There are MULTIPLE discussions occurring simultaneously on this
list.  Look at the subject lines of the message for which one you're
following.  YOUR topic at hand is newn-n; a DIFFERENT topic at hand is
a layer 3 network design to support APRS in the future.   Other
discussions involve a gps sale, a MIC-e decoder for a voice repeater,
and how to hack an Onstar gps. Check the subject line to see where
you're at.

-Jason
kg4wsv