[aprssig] State Abbreviations for SSn-N rouiting...

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Feb 17 13:16:44 EST 2005

Tim,

There is no need to limit it to two bytes.
ALA is just fine.  It can be WVA or
FLA.  Doesnt matter,  Just whatever
the state wants to use...  I only used SSn-N
in my docs as a convenience...

It does not make the packet any bigger, since
its a fixed 7 byte field anyway...

So, no, if you already  have ALA in place,
please leave it.  But if new states do stick with the
2 byte version of SSn-N then it will be easiler
for visitors to "guess" correctly without having
to look first...

thanks

Bob

>>> "Tim Cunningham" <tim_cunningham at mindspring.com> 2/17/05 10:07:03
AM >>>
Bob,

I do not see that behavior with UIDIGI on this end. We have
7 of them in earshot of each other here with no other types
to mess up the process. I do not see that behavior here in a
pure UIDIGI environment.

Our challenge has been dealing with the new paradigm SSn-n
changes. A few years ago when we did this we used ALA
for the UIFLOOD call and moved WIDE to the UITRACE call.
I had initially started to use AL and you suggested ALA. So, we
went with ALA. As you can tell where I am going with this
dialog it has added some complication to make the change since
everybody who used ALAn-n burned their EPROM's, PIC's,
and weather stations with ALAn-n. Now the SSn-n suggesting
we use AL is a problem. We will deal with that one when we
see the cost impact for the users that adopted ALAn-n.

73's

Tim - N8DEU