[aprssig] APRS routing strategies

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Wed Feb 16 14:14:54 EST 2005

On Feb 15, 2005, at 2:40 PM, Henk de Groot wrote:
> This proposal is to introduce 4 new generic digipeater calls, living
> besides the existing WIDE, TRACE and RELAY calls (thanks to Bill Vodal
> for the names :-)). These are:
>
> LOCAL, REGION, WORLD and IGATE

The LOCAL/REGION/WORLD idea is simpler for the end user, but it doesn't
necessarily give a good feel for how far a packet will really go, since
the actual number of hops is based on local load and configuration, and
the distance between those hops is a geographical issue.  It would be
great for appliance operators, but a ham should be more sophisticated,
IMO (at least enough to understand the idea of a hop count).

Is there any mechanism to suppress/modify a bad configuration?  For
example, what happens if my path is WORLD,WORLD,WORLD?

-Jason
kg4wsv