[aprssig] Elmer 160, SimplyMEPIS, and CW Disks Updated

Brian B. Riley brianbr at mac.com
Wed Feb 16 12:47:04 EST 2005

Updates to three disks available now from Ye Olde Disk Shoppe

     <http://www.wulfden.org/DiskShop.shtml>

  (1) I have updated the Elmer 160 disk to include version 7.01 of MPLAB as
well as the stable 6.51 and 6.62. Several new PIC projects and tutorials on
32 bit Math operations have been added as well.

  (2) SimplyMEPIS 3.3 has released 3.3Test03. See below for excerpts from
the press release. (FWIW the earlier versions used to require a command line
option NOUSEBIOS because of the Savage video chipset in my Shuttle XPC, this
version came up clean without entering that option)

  (3) The CW disk has undergone a major revision. Chuck has recoded his CW
course to occupy about 142 MB. I downloaded all of the new files, I added
the text files to them. That gave me 450 MB of free space on  the CD to
which I added an additional 300+ MB of other practice files from Chuck's
website, a number PDF documents on the art of CW, and the latest copies of
various Windows, MSDOS and Mac CW/Morse software.

--
Cheers ... 73 de brian, n1bq, underhill center, vermont

-------
SimplyMEPIS 3.3-test03 Prepares for Upcoming Major Release

 Test03 is believed to be the final test release. The package list has been
finalized. Due to user feedback Kopete has been replaced with Gaim and
Xchat; and Synaptic has been added as an alternative package manager. Some
minor bugs have been fixed especially in power management. The GNOME desktop
and menus are more polished.

 There continues to be some confusion about the relationship between
SimplyMEPIS and ProMEPIS. Warren was asked to clarify "Early in this
development cycle, I produced a series of test ISOs under the ProMEPIS name.
Then I realized this was a mistake. Users were unsure which version was best
for them. I had made something difficult instead of simple." Warren
continued "So SimplyMEPIS is the bootable CD that is available from MEPIS
and from public mirrors. There is only one bootable CD for desktop MEPIS
Linux. ProMEPIS will be a set of CDs that includes the SimplyMEPIS bootable
CD. The extra functionality that was in the Pro test CD will be easy to
install from the extra CDs or from on-line sources."
--------