[aprssig] IGate wildcards/Telpac data

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Tue Feb 15 15:45:38 EST 2005

On 2/15/05 at 3:36 PM Robert Bruninga <bruninga at usna.edu> sent:

>I stand by my statement.  "such a callsign cannot
>be "originated" by a raw TNC, but that is a limitation
>of the TNC."  If you want more elaboration, then I will
>refer you to the APRS spec where the 9 byte APRS
>callsign field is defined as the typical TAPR-2 Clone
>standard way of displaying a callsign in monitor mode.

I think this is semantics, you cannot do it in the TNC because the TNC conforms
to the AX-25 spec, you are both right...

And Bob, remember not to quote the APRS spec on matters involving the APRS
Internet System, the APRS spec explicitly does not cover the APRS IS. The plan
was to do the APRS IS as a separate document, but no one had the stamina to
tackle it after the first spec was finally completed. On the air, the protocol
is obviously limited by the 6 char + 4 bit ssid limit of the AX-25 spec. On the
internet, you, Pete, and I have three different assumptions about what is
permissible, so obviously there is not absolute answer...

Steve K4HG