[aprssig] IGate wildcards/Telpac data

Bill Diaz william.diaz at comcast.net
Tue Feb 15 13:15:31 EST 2005

Bob,
  See below:

I agree WL-CCCCCCC is a bad idea.

IMO, any construct which causes any APRS application to fail is unacceptable
and should be rejected.  I am not a fan of non-numeric SSID's or other
constructs which violate the AX.25 spec.  Many of these were adopted on
whims of individual developers or are permitted by applications which do not
check to ensure user entered information conforms to AX.25 and APRS specs.

Callsigns exceeding 9 characters or inserting a hypen before the end of the
call will surely result in problems with some applications. A viable and
workable solution would be one which does not require changes to any server
or client software.

Our existing APRS spec is terribly convoluted. It is now extremely difficult
for new developers to write workable APRS spec compliant code. Lets not
aggravate the situation by adopting yet another construct not presently
supported.

Bill KC9XG