[aprssig] Fwd: RE: WinLink and the APRS-IS

AE5PL Lists HamLists at ametx.com
Tue Feb 15 12:11:36 EST 2005

Where I like, in general the format, I disagree on a couple of issues.

First, even Bob used the word "object".  That's what these are and IMO
that's how they should be transmitted, not as APRS posits.  Most client
software maintains separate lists for objects which makes it much easier
to look for these resources than searching through an APRS station list.

Second, for these to truly be of use to RF users, they will need to be
gated to RF.  In most cases, IGate operators are not continually
changing their configurations nor should they be.  These are automated
stations, most running 24/7, not stations with an operator physically
present at all times to constantly be searching for who sets up a TelPac
node in their area or who takes one down.  Because of this, an ability
to gate based on callsign prefix in an area (combination of IGate and
server filter software currently available everywhere) is preferable.

For instance, Collin County Texas ARES (take a look folks, according to
Bob's density calculations, the DFW Texas area has the highest density
of APRS stations) would like to have the telpac nodes information for
the county beaconed to APRS.  This has been done for the past month
using the old objects with no complaint.  Why no complaints on a
frequency that is saturated?  Because the objects are only transmitted
once every 30 minutes and are only digipeated through the single
wide-area digipeater that covers all of the county.  Virtually no
bandwidth impact.

Under Bob's proposal, we would be constantly changing IGate
configurations to match when new TelPac nodes are brought up and when
others are taken down.  If the TelPac node uses a sending callsign (the
object name can still be CCCCCC-WL) starting with WLK, IGate could
connect to a user-defined filter port (no objects if no filter set) and
set a filter of f/W5MRC-15/25 which would pass all stations and objects
within 25 km of W5MRC-15 to the IGate.  The IGate could then gate all
WLK stations which would only be those TelPac nodes within 25 km of the
wide-area digipeater.  Of course, this range could be raised or lowered
depending on the coverage area of the digipeater and desired coverage
area of announcing TelPac nodes.

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
mailto:pete at ae5pl.net