[aprssig] IGate wildcards/Telpac data

A.J. Farmer (AJ3U) ajfarmer at spenet.com
Tue Feb 15 11:33:14 EST 2005

I don't think we should stray from the AX.25 specs for convenience or
filtering purposes.

Should we start prefixing weather stations with WX- , balloons with BA- ,
Digi's with DI- , etc. ?  Of course not.  So why do it with Winlink Telpac
nodes?

As far as IGate wildcards, I also agree that it should be discouraged.  By
restricting the use of wildcards, it encourages IGate operators to monitor
and attend to their stations which is part of network stewardship.  To many
"set it and forget it" abilities when dealing with the tremendous amount of
data on the APRS-IS combined with an unattended IGate just opens up the
network to potential problems.

73!

A.J. Farmer, AJ3U
http://www.aj3u.com