[aprssig] Modification to AE5PL's routing idea

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Tue Feb 15 10:31:30 EST 2005

Wes,

I've succeeded in staying out of this on the sig, and I'm gonna try for
a couple of more rounds.  I'm swamped at work so I can't give this a lot
of cycles, but feel free to use or abuse my comments.

OK, first comment:  SOURCE ROUTING IS EVIL.  There are places for it,
but overall, it's just plain wrong to expect every user to define every
aspect of their route.

If we retain the capability to allow 'RELAY,COUNTY' we're encouraging
source routing.

I can accept a route delimiter of LOCAL, COUNTY, NWSxxx (as recognized
by the local network), STATE, etc.  These aren't source routing, but,
instead, indentify intent.

We're back to the fact that we need to be engineering (requirements,
specifications, design, implementation) a new version of the APRS RF
*AND* IS network interfaces.  That's going to mean more hardware design,
and more software design.  It will require input, but not necessarily
coding help, from the client authors and folks like Pete and Steve,
who've a rather deep and focused concept of the current workings of
these areas.

We're not talking about disenfranchising anyone, and we're not talking
about a revolution overnight.  We're talking about a mechanism where a
broadcast protocol for tactical position reporting, with some adjuncts
attached and accepted as useful, can be better handled as the number of
users, and the network complexity grows.

Another problem I have resides with continuing to use digipeaters.  The
technology has bypassed them.  We can, and should, begin looking at a
more network-centric mechanism than a layer 2 hub being the core of our
networks.  The I-Gate concept effectively incorporates routers and
intelligent broadcast filtering, but the core of the RF systems, that
getting RF data to the IS, is dumb hubs.  There's a major efficiency
failure.

Most of Bob's efforts in network "enhancement" over the last 5 years...
longer?... have focused on taking a broken paradigm and slapping
bandaids on it to make it better.  Of these, the original RELAY,WIDE and
WIDEN-n concepts were refocusing events.  The rest have tended to be
distractors supported by questionable math and an attempt to make an
archaic system do things it's incapable of achieving.

I suggest we're on the right track.  It's time to look at some real work
in network design, and hardware implementation going.  I suspect we
could take a day at DCC, with this group of addressees and perhaps a
half-dozen more, and wrap up a reasonable requirements document, and
have a decent start on a specification.

I'm gonna talk to a colleague with some students in telecommunications
for their Masters.  (I don't ever see him really getting a serious PhD
student...) I think we could possibly leverage one or more of these for
the theoretical evaluations of what we're talking about, and some
simulations.  Anyone game to help write an NSF proposal to the CISE or
Networks areas?

73, gerry