[aprssig] IGate wildcards/Telpac data

James Jefferson Jarvis jj at aprsworld.net
Tue Feb 15 09:06:47 EST 2005

> Currently, findU is blocking this plan because of a long-standing (meaning
> I didn't add this to block the plan, it was added years ago to prevent the
> -NET, -HOME, -IP SSIDs that were becoming problematic) requirement that
> callsigns be AX-25 compliant. If the community does not object to the WL-
> plan, I can and will remove the restriction.

Are you talking about allowing callsign-ssid to be an arbitrary length?

If so, then I object based on the fact that aprsworld and anything that uses
it is expecting callsign-ssid to be at most 9 characters. IIRC the APRS
internet stream was supposed to look like AEA or TNC2 packets. Both of those
would only present at most 9 characters for callsign-SSID, so that's what I
went with 5 years ago.

Fortunately aprsworld will happily truncate longer callsign-ssid strings. But
the problem is that mapping an arbitrarily large namespace into a finite
namespace is that collisions will result.

I don't know if all other APRS application will happily deal with arbitrary
length callsign-ssid's without failure. I suspect there are a lot of fixed
length buffers out there.

Or perhaps I misunderstand what you are saying. That's quite possible as it is
early in the morning and I have one heck of a cold.

73's

-Jim KB0THN