[aprssig] New n-N Paradigm Bulletins

Keith - VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Mon Feb 14 16:26:16 EST 2005

Bob WB4APR wrote on Monday, February 14, 2005 12:46 PM PST

> Are you sure?
> This is good news.  I thought that UIview treated a bulletin
> like any other message and transmitted it at a fixed rate
> only and then timed out...  If UIview has the decay
> algorithm on bulletins this is good news..  Bob

After AJ3U commented...
> Sure, just send a message to BLNB
> It will repeat on a decaying schedule until you delete it.

I sent a reply to the SIG back on Dec 11 2004 after someone I said "UI-View has significant flaws in its message system"...

<quote>
Significant flaws? Maybe it could be more flexible or decay in some way, but I have UI-View set to retry messages every 60 seconds for 5 times, and to "retry on heard" (if the other station re-appears) and to expire after 60 minutes. By "decay" I assume that you would rather it decayed something like the way UI-View handles bulletins... send after 2, 5, and 10 minutes, and then every 20 minutes until deleted, and the way it handles announcements... send after 2, 5, 10, 20, 30, and 60 minutes and then every 60 minutes after that until deleted.

UI-View can be set to send acks by the unproto path specified in the station set-up, or it can be via an unproto path derived from intelligently reversing the path by which the message was received.  I don't send a lot of APRS messages, but have used them from time to time, and I never got the impression that it was flawed in any way and I don't think I would describe its way of messaging as being useless.
</quote>

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH