[aprssig] APRS routing strategies (was: New n-N success in North Carolina)

William McKeehan mckeehan at mckeehan.homeip.net
Mon Feb 14 15:53:44 EST 2005

I have been watching this discussion with some interest.

Being new to APRS, I don't have the best understanding of how all of this
works, but I do have an idea that I would like to toss to the group for
discussion.

I'm thinking about having some paths like this:
CITY
COUNTY
REGION
STATE
IGATE

CITY would be equivilant to a single hop path, like a WIDE.
COUNTY would restrict the packet travel to the COUNTY
REGION would restrict the packet travel to the REGION (depending on where you
are in the world, this could have different meanings)
STATE would restrict it to the STATE
IGATE would only be digi'd if the DIGI has recently heard an IGATE

This would let the user define how far out his beacon should propogate - yeah,
it would require some more smarts on the part of the digi's and it may not be
something that can easily be accomplished.

I think this would work well for position beacons, but not very well for
sending messages. For messages, I see source routing as a pain and would like
to simply address messages like an e-mail and have the digi's know how to get
the message to the destination; this could be pretty easy with the APRS-IS,
but I do not see how to do it with RF only without source routing.

Just some ideas - rip it apart :-)