[aprssig] New n-N success in North Carolina

Jason Winningham jdw at eng.uah.edu
Sat Feb 12 14:53:09 EST 2005

On Feb 12, 2005, at 9:52 AM, Robert Bruninga wrote:

> by basing a design
> on some new piece of hardware you will guarantee a mix-mashed
> network that will never get off the ground.

If we deploy  a "solution" off the cuff, you are absolutely right.
Open minded discussion and planning will get us where we need to go.

Let's say we have a black box attached to a digipeater in your area
(where you want a maximum of 2 digipeats for a packet, if I understand
correctly) that would take a path like

RELAY,WIDE7-7

and digipeat it with a path of

RELAY*,WIDE7-1

Even if this digipeater was the only one on the  planet, it would be
100% compatible with existing digis _and_ it would force the packet to
comply with the load on your local network _and_ it would take
configuration issues out of the hands of the clients and put them in
the hands of the digi operators.

Other than the fact we don't yet have the black box and the guessed $30
to $60 price tag, what's missing with the basic concept?

> Yes, there are many fantastic ways to re-design APRS from the
> ground up, but it will never happen.

It either will happen, or APRS will die.  Apparently it is already
reaching that point is some areas.  The number of users will continue
to grow if and only if the network can support them.  If the network
can't meet the demand, users will leave and the network will die.

-Jason
kg4wsv