[aprssig] New n-N success in North Carolina

Wes Johnston aprs at kd4rdb.com
Fri Feb 11 23:22:29 EST 2005

The problem with the "trap out" method is that even if you trap W7-7,W6-6, and
W5-5, you still let the W7-6's and W7-2's thru....

There is another way and that is to support the alias of WIDE2-2,W2-1,W3-3,W3-2
under the UIDIGI setting.  It'll give ONE more hope to each elligible packet.

Eric, I agree with you...  SSn-n is the way to go.  Ok, fine, we can support ONE
hop and one hop only for W2-2 people by putting W2-2 in the UIDIGI setting.

Ideally, I'd really like to see is a hop count limit.  If this existed, it would
be fine for a fellow to run W7-7.  When he wandered in to an area where 2 hops,
his packets would be digipeated until they got to WIDE7-5.  Now imagine a guy
approaching a metro area.  Some of his packets would go toward the metro area,
other packets would head off in the rural direction.  Those packets going into
the metro area's 1 or 2 hop limit digi's would not be digi'ed once those
packets were decremented to W7-5.  Meanwhile the copies of packets going toward
the rural area's 5 hop limit digi's would continue to be digipeated until they
got to W7-2.  They could feasible route around the city! What I'm getting at is
that each area could filter the same packets to varying degrees...  wow.. what a
shame a hop limit wasn't spec'ed when the UIFLOOD was first written.

I kinda get a chuckle out of this next suggestion.  If I (or someone) was to
produce a KISS mode controller based on a PIC chip, it would probably cost $35
(around the price of a tiny trak).  This device could be added on to the back
of a kpc3 tnc in kiss mode and powered from pin 13 or pin25 of the serial port.
 The part I chuckle about is that kantronics wants $60 for firmware, but it
would be a neater solution.

Wes