[aprssig] Maps of APRS User Density!

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Feb 11 09:36:33 EST 2005

A Color map of the APRS user density profiles in the USA and
Europe and Australia have now been posted on:

http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/aprs/fix14439.html

This was plotted using APRSdos and data provided by
Steve, K4HG.  It is very revealing!  At first glance it appears
to support the frequent opinion " Bob, What you see back
east is not what we see!" comment.  But conversly, that goes
both ways.  "You dont see what we see here in Wash DC
either"

Also, you mgiht say, let the cities pound sand, look at all the
Blue States where we can run WIDE5-5 all we want.  Well,
think again.  There is probably no where in that sea of blue
where you can run 5-5 and not end up with packets hitting a
city, or even multiple cities!  And  The "blue area" around
say Dallas, contains over 2 MILLION square miles and even
*more users* than those that live in the RED dot.

Yes, the Blue density is 10 times less, but is 100 times more
area.  This is what floods the cities networks!

THus, although the blue areas are sparse, if they use lots of
hops, they hit the cities from ALL DIRECTIONS and FLOOD
THEM.

THus, I think the New n-N Paradigm is on the right track.

1) Lets see if we can live with a national limit of 4-4 in the
    wide open areas and distant travelers and enforce it with
    traps of at least 6-6, and 7-7 and 5-5 if we can...
2) Lets let the high density areas add traps for large N's
    as needed to keep their nets from saturation
3) We must get rid of the W,W and W,W,W paths which
    generate 3 to 5 times the number of dupes which is
    probably a bigger problem in most areas than WIDEn-N
    ever was.

Now we have the data.  Lets make it happen!

de WB4APR, Bob