[aprssig] Re: FindU Maps Quirky

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Wed Feb 9 20:49:17 EST 2005

On 2/9/05 at 7:45 PM KC2MMi <kc2mmi at verizon.net> sent:

> WOW! I had no idea the dedicated costs were that high.

That is just hardware costs. aprs.net initially ran at a donated site at the
Miami Museum of Science. findU ran on a DSL line in my home for its first two
years until I lost the fixed IP. Since then it has been in donated co-lo space.
If I had to pay for the present space, it would add a couple thousand a year to
the costs.

><<So bottom line, findU cannot offer ad space to support this suggestion,>>
> That's where, respectfully, I have to disagree with you. You've already
>shown that the current model (your own wallet) is not a feasible way to
>continue the projects into the future. Besides advertising, what else is
>there?

You miss the point. I am using advertising to begin to accumulate money for the
next findU machine. Google has strict rules about adding other ads to a page. (I
will not give up findU's future to give a small percent of findU's users nicer
looking coastlines.

Steve K4HG