[aprssig] Re: FindU Maps Quirky

Ray McKnight shortsheep at worldnet.att.net
Mon Feb 7 15:11:17 EST 2005

Jim, I'm not criticizing any of the incredible volunteers who
make this service possible.  Until recently I had no interest
in FindU or the maps.  Now I do recall that Steve provided you
the old FindU machine when the current server was purchased.
Isn't it less than a 1GHz box with something like 128mb?
Memory isn't all that expensive and might be the easiest way
for an immediate improvement to be realized, so what type
and how much do you need?
Steve has suggested a load-share effort to split the processing
between two or more servers.  Presently I don't have a fast
Internet connection but am working on it.  The major problem is
that I'm more than 3.4 miles from the phone switch so DSL is
not available here.  When the house was built they didn't complete
the cabling, but I *think* I'm okay from the pole to the outside
Inlet.  If I can get this sorted out and manage to get a cable
modem, I have several big Compaq RAID servers just sitting around
 and could easily put together a 4-processor system with about
24GB RAID-5 and 2GB RAM.  If more storage is needed I have a few
external RAID cabinets populated with 24GB.  I'm not sure how quickly
I can resolve the cable issue, and to be honest I'm not sure the
upload speed of cable modems, if this would even be a viable
location to host the effort, so maybe the efforts should go toward
upgrading your hardware instead?

I think it's a worthwhile effort.